Monday, October 26, 2015

A Belated Summer

This was the first time I've experienced a "summer vacation" outside of college. In my previous job, we didn't get a summer vacation. I don't think my career set-up will always be like this, so I'm enjoying every second of it.

Since it's only a short flight away, I decided to visit Japan during summer vacation with Huma and Leek. This was my second time visiting Japan, the first being in High School. This time we explored the Kansai province (Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto) Visiting Japan again as an adult was so worthwhile for me. I noticed so many different things. I was mostly fascinated by the different lifestyle, the cleanliness, the architecture, diversity, and the silence. The whole atmosphere was foreign, yet familiar to me. And I can definitely assure you that anime characters are designed after the wonderful Japanese people. I was in a real life anime, with the small compact spaces, people smoking using cigarette holders in tiny cafes while reading manga, school girls + boys cycling, the grandparents yelling at kids in the markets, the ramen, the okonomiyaki!!, the sushi , quirky convenient contraptions (like UV proof umbrellas held up on your bike), tatami mats, sliding doors, squishy ominous cats, and a 100% absence of English.

The manga is brilliant. I went to a manga exhibit in Kyoto and found the first original copies of Dragon Ball Z published in 1989. What?! Unfortunately photography is strictly prohibited in most anime museums. But this exhibit was cool because it talked about the rise of manga and how it all started, and the way it gained popularity across the world. My favorite part was the variety of manga there was. Manga was and IS for everyone, of all ages, ethnicities, genders, etc. It's even a news source. I saw many elderly men and women read it on the train, teens read it in cafés, business  men and women, mothers, children, everyone! It's not seen as some sort of cool or uncool culture, like it is in America ~ "I'm into anime." (I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing.) It's a completely normal part of Japanese life. No one bats an eye.

One best parts of my journey was the Nara lantern festival. Thousands of lanterns were sprawled out over the grass and in some areas the lanterns made intricate designs. Guys, it was absolutely breathtaking. No picture can do it justice. The three of us naturally wandered in different directions because we were so taken aback by the sea of lanterns. That was the closest I've ever come to floating through outer space. I felt tiny. ~*~*~*~*And in that moment I was infinite~*~*~*~*~ But really though. It made me tear up.

So that's all I'll be discussing on my trip to Japan. If you have any questions about my trip, feel free to comment below. I highly recommend that everyone visit Japan at least once in your life. :) It's great for solo-adventuring, or even a family trip!

Hope you're having an amazing day!
Love,
Anisha


3 comments:

  1. Squishy ominous cats!! I love this post. I think your words say more than the pictures :P even though those are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squishy ominous cats!! I love this post. I think your words say more than the pictures :P even though those are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete